Last Updated: December 31, 2015
Alliant Energy Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliated companies (also referred to as “Alliant Energy”, "we" or "us") understand the importance you place on the privacy and security of information that personally identifies you or your account. We refer to this information as "personal information." We want you to know what personal information we collect and how we use it.
Collection of Information
Information You Provide to Us
We collect personal information in order to provide you with service and improve your experience.. For example, we collect information when you sign up for service, create an online account, fill out a form, pay your bill, make a purchase, contact customer service, communicate with us via third party social media sites or otherwise communicate with us. The types of information we may collect include your name, online account username, email address, postal address, phone number, fax number, Social Security number, income status, date of birth, payment method information and any other information you choose to provide.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you obtain residential energy services from us, we automatically collect energy usage information, including the amount of electricity or gas used and the average use and cost per day. This information facilitates our billing activities and overall provision of energy services.
As is true of most websites, we automatically gather some information about your use of our websites and online services (“Online Services”) , including:
- Log Information: This information includes Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, browser type and language, Internet service provider (ISP), referring and exit pages, web pages viewed, operating system, date/time stamp, and clickstream data.
- Information Collected by Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies: We use various technologies to collect information, and this may include sending cookies to your computer or mobile device. Cookies are small data files stored on your computer’s hard drive or in device memory that help us improve our Online Services and your experience, see which areas and features of our Online Services are popular and count visits. We may also collect information using Web beacons, also known as “tracking pixels”. Web beacons are electronic images that may be used in our Online Services or emails and help deliver cookies, count visits, understand usage and campaign effectiveness as well as monitor the effectiveness of our emails. For more information about cookies, and how to disable them, please see “Your Choices” below.
Information We Collect From Other Sources
We may also obtain information about you from other sources. For example, we may collect information about you from third parties, including, but not limited to, identity verification services, credit bureaus, mailing list providers and publicly available sources. We may combine that information with other information we collect about you.
Use of Information
We may use information about you for various purposes, including to:
- Provide, maintain and improve our services;
- Provide and deliver the products and services you request, process transactions and send you related information, including confirmations and invoices;
- Send you technical notices, updates, security alerts and support and administrative messages;
- Respond to your comments, questions and requests and provide customer service;
- Verify your identity and prevent fraudulent transactions;
- Communicate with you about products, services, offers, promotions, rewards and events offered by Alliant Energy and others and provide news and information we think will be of interest to you;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities in connection with our Online Services;
- Personalize and improve the Online Services and provide advertisements, content or features that match user profiles or interests;
- Process and deliver contest entries and rewards;
- Link or combine with information we get from others to help understand your needs and provide you with better service; and
- Carry out any other purpose for which the information was collected.
Alliant is based in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law. By accessing or using the Online Services or otherwise providing information to us, you consent to the transfer of information to, and processing of information in, the United States and other countries.
Sharing of Information
- With other companies that provide energy efficiency programs for their direct marketing purposes;
- With vendors, consultants and other service providers who need access to such information to carry out work on our behalf;
- With the U.S. Government and its authorized representatives to protect the security of critical infrastructure;
- In response to a request for information, if required by, or if we believe disclosure is in accordance with, any applicable law, regulation or legal process;
- If we believe your actions are inconsistent with the spirit or language of our user agreements or policies, or to protect the rights, property and safety of Alliant Energy or others;
- In connection with, or during negotiations of, any merger, sale of company assets, financing or acquisition of all or a portion of our business to another company; and
- With your consent or at your direction, including if we notify you that the information you provide will be shared in a particular manner and you provide such information.
We may also share aggregated or de-identified information, which cannot reasonably be used to identify you.
Analytics Services Provided by Others
We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the privacy and security of the information we maintain about you. Please note that no electronic transmission of information can be entirely secure. While we take reasonable measures to protect information about you we cannot guarantee that these security measures will always be sufficient or effective.
To help protect yourself, we recommend that you protect the confidentiality of any user name or ID and password you use to access any online services.
You are responsible for all online activity on the website including activity using your user name or ID and password. You should also sign off your accounts and close your browser window when you have finished your visit to our websites.
You may update or correct information maintained in your online account at any time by logging into your online account. If you wish to deactivateyour online account, you may follow the deactivation process that is made available to you within your online account, but note that we may retain certain information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes.
Most Web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. However, you may be able to set your Internet browser to remove or reject browser cookies. Please note that if you choose to remove or reject cookies, this could affect the availability and functionality of certain features of our Online Services.
You may opt out of receiving promotional messages from Alliant Energy by following the instructions for doing so in those messages. If you opt out, we may still send you transactional or relationship messages, such as those about your account or our ongoing business relations.