If you are vision-impaired or have some other disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to shopping or ordering on or using the benefits of our website, please contact Alliant Energy at 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268).
Skip Navigation

What To Do If a Natural Gas Accident Happens

Even when we're really careful, sometimes accidents happen. That's why it's so important to know what to do if there's a natural gas emergency.

If you smell a gas leak

A natural gas leak will smell really bad - like rotten eggs or skunk. If you're in the kitchen or laundry room and something doesn't smell right, or if you hear a funny noise, tell a grown-up right away.

If there's a really bad odor that happens all of a sudden, get out of the house as fast as you can and find a grownup.

  • Don't stop to open windows or doors.
  • Don't touch anything that might create a spark, like a light switch or even a telephone.
  • Go to a neighbor's house and call 911 from their phone.

Don't go back inside your house until the gas company or the fire department tells you it's safe.

If the carbon monoxide alarm goes off

If you have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, and the alarm goes off, it's best to leave the house.

Open the doors and windows to let in fresh air. A grown-up should have all the gas appliances inspected right away.

But if someone is feeling really sick and you think it might be carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 and go outside to get some fresh air while you wait for help to arrive.

 

Fun stuff to print:

Energy Safety Survey [PDF]

Alliant Energy Kids activity book [PDF]